About Me

Hi! My name is Brianna Lockwood, and I am trying to make a difference in the way we treat each other. If you had to close your eyes and I said the words pretty,dainty, and skinny what would you see? How about if i said brave, athletic, strong and muscular? I bet the first time you pictured a girl and the second time you pictured a boy. What if someone can't live up to what their peers think would make them perfect? What if they didn't want to? Living up to what society expects us to be is impossible. Everyday adolescents are bullied because of how they look or act. I believe that every one should be different and believe in themselves so we all can fight society's "normals" together.

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Yesterday I had the honor of talking to Elise Stefanik, the representative for New York's 21st District in the House of Representatives . We talked about women empowerment and breaking the glass ceiling. She gave me advice about public speaking, and making the biggest impact on my community. Being the youngest female congresswoman ever elected, she has broken the stereotypes "women are inferior to men". Instead of viewing the fact she is a woman as a disadvantage, she used it as an advantage. It made her unique! At times she was underestimated, but she did not let that hinder her campaign or confidence. If you are being bullied because of who you are, Elise says "always be yourself, it will get better". Meeting Elise Stefanik was such an unforgettable experience, thank you Elise for putting an enormous crack in the glass ceiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment